Finding the REALTOR® that best meets your needs requires some research. You’ll want to choose your REALTOR® as carefully as you would your lawyer, tax consultant or financial advisor.
- Ask friends and relatives for names of agents/brokers whom they recommend
- Ask your attorney or CPA for recommendations
- Look for real estate signs and visit open houses in neighborhoods that interest you to find agents who specialize in the area
- Check the local advertising pages in your newspaper or homebuyers tabloid
- Check the websites of companies you see advertised
- Homebuyer's Checklist
Sample Interview Questions
When you have found a few REALTOR® candidates, interview each one on the phone before you make your final selection. Ask questions such as:
- What services and resources do you offer?
- Do you participate in the area’s multiple listing service (MLS)?
- Have you handled transactions in the neighborhoods I prefer?
- What specialty training or designations have you earned?
- Is real estate your full-time career?
Putting it all Together
As you talk to each candidate, notice how you feel. Does he or she put you at ease? Do you feel comfortable confiding in him or her?
Good rapport and communication are essential throughout the home buying—or selling—process. Ask questions to get to know your REALTOR®. Make sure your REALTOR® gets to know you and understands your real estate goals. Your REALTOR® will do a better job for you if she or he knows what you want—and don’t want.
Visit our Roster of BVBoR REALTORS®